Sunday, January 17, 2010

First Impressions

My first thought about a "film class" is the pronunciation of the word "film" with two syllables, "fil-lum," spoken in a high class English accent (how my mother sometimes says it). It makes me feel very defensive in the sense that I want to shout, "Just because I don't know the director of a movie doesn't mean I can't enjoy it!"

Camille, I was laughing to myself when we were talking about this class because you said something about how you like film because it's not elite at all, anybody can enjoy it or be good at it. I don't know anything about film. So when people talk about it, whether it's actors, directors, philosophies behind it, or history of, I feel excluded, inferior, not elite; therefore making film and anyone who enjoys film to a greater extent than me, elite.

These thoughts are film are just first impressions of the world itself. I know that just because people like a subject a whole lot and love to talk about it with their friends doesn't make them elitist pricks. I suppose I just have somewhat of a "men are inherently evil.." opinion about it.

That aside, I really enjoyed my first day of film class. Syllabi are always fun to go over and the bathroom break was welcomed enthusiastically. But really, I am very excited about the weeks to come. This class will bring me out of my element, something I have been expecting to happen eventually in the Honors College.

Bring on the fil-lum.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are ready to open up your heart and "Give peas a chance." By peas, of course, I mean film. I feel the same way about trucks when people ask me about them. I don't know anything about trucks! They just take me to Waffle House!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad also that you are open to the learning experience. I think you'll find that the more you learn about film, the more you'll appreciate some of your favorites. I know that, for me, there was nothing like discovering the art of lighting and how much it affects the frame on the screen. Or the kind of power the editor wields over the final product. There's a reason so many people love to talk about film like this - because it's fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand the feeling of being completely clueless about film. Some of my friends find it hard to believe that I don't even know certain actors names, much less directors. I'm sure by the end of the semester we'll have learned so much, people will wonder why we're so full of knowledge about a subject most people consider purely entertainment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha filum.
    oh mumsie.

    I have no idea which actors or directors did what either.
    I'm so glad I am not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not only are you going to learn who does what and why -- you're going to DO IT! Hope there's more to look forward to each week than the bathroom break. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm actually not aware of many directors or actors in hollywood either, when people start talking about that stuff, I like to add in what I know and thats barely enough, but usually I like to act like what is going on. But I'm glad I'm not the only one who is lost in such conversations.

    ReplyDelete