Sunday, January 24, 2010

WOW.

Let me just say, a lot of shit goes into making a film, a LOT.

Art for me is personal and intimate. It is hard to fathom a work of art such as film to be created by so many different artists (script writer, director, editor, sound editor and more). If I were a scriptwriter, I'm not sure how well I would take a director "making it his own." What if my vision was lost? What if it doesn't convey the story I intended it to?

Maybe I just don't play well with others. When I have something specific in mind, I find it hard to accept others' suggestions or changes. Making a short film in class will definitely be a challenge for me, and the people who have to work with me... I apologize in advance. I will try and keep an open mind :)

I'm glad this first film assignment is individual work. I hope it will get me comfortable enough with the editing programs and concepts to be able to contribute something productive to our group film. I really am excited about the project, don't let my hesitation fool you.

So, last class was pretty long. I open this paragraph with that statement because it is the first thing that I remembered about class. It felt chaotic and the terms/concepts were definitely overwhelming. I repeat, a lot of shit goes into making a film. It's disenchanting but incredible at the same time. This box o' footage is either going to be a piece of cake or living hell, I hope the former... The StarWars and LotR clips seemed very helpful.

I look forward to our next class.

3 comments:

  1. I can't seem to understand and believe where these groups of talented people are able to find one another, to make these films possible. I think that you might be feeling the way you do now(individualistic), but once we get to the real project, you will be amazed how your ideas would be in sync with those of others, and how much you'd be ready to collaborate with them. I can't wait to start those group projects though cos these individual ones are a pain..at least, various ideas would be at work in the group projects. Can't wait!!! Good luck....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd also be upset if I created a script that I thought was perfect and amazing, only to have it cut up and redone every which way by some hot-shot director. It would be an interesting situation, but I guess that's something writers just have to keep in mind while their creating the scripts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It used to be disturbing to me that so much art turns out to be collaborative or a process involving compromise. I wanted to assign responsibility and identify genius, and that made it difficult, dammit! Now that I'm more interested in how we can do things together that we can't do ourselves, it bothers me a lot less. :)

    ReplyDelete