Monday, February 15, 2010

If you've seen one, you've seen them all

The movie, Singin' in the Rain, was a sensation! It was vibrant, energetic, and all around intriguing. I especially loved the character Cosmo, he was extremely entertaining. His slap-stick routine to "make 'em laugh" was hysterical--it really made the film for me. Something that struck me while watching this film was the difference between Norma Desmond (Sunset Boulevard) and Don, Lina, Kathy, and Cosmo (Singin' in the Rain) playing to the camera. All of the characters were essentially entertainers, but Norma's self-indulged ignorance looked a lot different than the others. I actually wanted to see more of the latter characters.

I don't think I've mastered the "take notice of cinematographic elements while watching film" art just yet. Or maybe Singin' in the Rain was just too exciting to not be completely enchanted with. I was only able to write one word down on my Notes page and that was "witty." It was the wit and charisma of the characters that I think really drew me in. I guess it could have been the bright colors (technicolor) or the lighting, but I didn't notice those things like I did the wit.

Maybe I am biased towards the film because I feel like we have a personal relationship. My mother used to sing the "Good Mornin'" song to me and my sister when she'd wake us up in the morning. Now that I'm in college, I still sometimes even sing it to myself when I wake up. I never knew where the song came from, and I don't think my mother did either. Hearing Kathy Seldon break into that song rocked my world. I COULD NOT BELIEVE my ears. The feeling I had was probably synonymous with a person who grew up together with this one particular friend and had to move away in the 7th grade to the other side of the country, and then 20 years later running into that friend at the neighborhood market. It was a beautiful reunion and made the film experience that much more enjoyable.

I can't wait to watch more films for two reasons:
-I may rediscover some memory that will add new meaning to my life
-By that time I might be better at analyzing cinematographic elements and can contribute to post-film disccusions


2 comments:

  1. You enjoyed the film a lot becasue you could relate to it in a very specific and personal way. But even on a broader scale, how well a film relates to a specific audience really counts. For example, lots of young people loved "Superbad" because they could relate to many of the situations in the movie (being a teenager and trying to get drunk and laid).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I've had that feeling ... isn't it creepy-wonderful? It's like THAT THING IS ALREADY A PART OF MY LIFE, HOW DID IT GET IN THERE!?

    ReplyDelete