Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Planning Begins...

Our big assignment for this class is to produce a short 2-5 minute film implementing all the skills and techniques presented through other movies and workshops. The whole class has been divided into 6 small groups with 4-5 people. Every group has a different genre of film—drama, action, romance, comedy, horror, and experimental. While the genres are different, every group's film must include a clown/mime, the phrases “Why is this happening to me today of all days?” and "It would be better for us not to talk about that,” and guitar, cheese grater, and skull props.

My group's film genre is action. I am very excited.

As camera operator, I missed out on most of the team discussion from last night's workshop. Camera operators were busy with their test footage assignment while the rest of their team members brainstormed ideas. Imran filled me in: we'll definitely have a chase scene. Action film—chase scene, enough said.

I can see many many things being possible for our short film. I'm glad our team has only four people, I think it will be easy to better incorporate everyone's ideas than if we had even one more person. Everyone has a specific role. Imran=director, Bryan=editor, Jordan=sound operator, myself=camera operator. I think Jordan and Imran are going to tackle most of the script with ideas and suggestions from Bryan and myself. I think this is a very strong team. But I suppose I should wait and see how things actually play out before I go tootin' our horn...

After the workshop last class I am doubly excited as well as nervous about this film assignment. Every class opens so many new doors of opportunity as far as creativity and inspiration are concerned; it's amazing and overwhelming at the same time.

My ambition, I'm not sure? Well, I guess something on par with StarWars or the like. A condensed StarWars might actually be pretty cool.


3 comments:

  1. Action would have been an awesome genre to get! We're romance... but I'm sure we'll still figure something out. Good luck with that car chase; I'll be looking forward to seeing it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming from the group doing romance, I think it's interesting that both our groups are thinking about doing some kind of intense chase scene. Maybe our group is made up of action lovers at heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Nothing like thinking big (and condensed)! I think action is a challenging genre. Can't wait to see what you do with it in 3-5 minutes!

    ReplyDelete