Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Reality Bites

I don't think I like film noir. I don't like it for all the reasons that it exists. Because I like happy endings and feeling good about movies. I like looking up to someone in a film and cheering them on as they fight crime or win the girl/boy. I don't think this means I am any less in tune with my own reality.

I understand that happy endings aren't always the reality, but I think they are a glimmer of hope for those stuck in shit-town. For example, Juno gets bored, has some sexual fun, and winds up pregnant (I'm sure there are thousands of real case scenarios such as this). Juno has a happy ending. Being pregnant almost seems fun because she treats herself to supersuper sized blue slushies and rock'n'roll at that couple who wants her baby's house. While most of us know this is not the reality, the happy ending of the “everything working out” could give hope to the preggo teenager stuck in that kind of a situation. False hope or not, it's hope.

With that said, The Player was quite the film-noir experience. I was definitely uncomfortable the entire time I was watching it. I was squirmish and really couldn't hold my focus on the film. I don't know if that was just my mood Thursday night or if it was the movie itself making me feel that way. Griffin was straight up creepy. What did Bonnie see in him anyway? Ja;lskvn I just get chills thinking about it.

The film definitely paints a nasty picture of Hollywood. I'm pretty sure the security guy knew that Griffin killed the writer, but for the sake of keeping the peace, kept his mouth shut and helped Griffin keep things quiet and controlled. I don't even want to know the reality that this film is trying to portray. It's scary.

We've starting filming! (and it's very, very difficult) We've already had to reschedule filming twice for conflicts and miscommunications. It's a very stressful process and it is definitely tearing me out of my comfort zone. However, my teammates and I are working very well together and seem to be on the same page. Our actors are flexible and patient (so far!). While I'm beginning to enjoy the process, I will be glad when it's over.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad this one got under your skin. I love the scene where the security guy is just catching the basketball and throwing it back to Griffin, completely subservient, his flunky! Now they share a secret, and the guard is in the movie business, like he wanted to be (remember the first scene where he's complaining about modern movies but doesn't seem to have seen any?).

    ReplyDelete